Saturday, August 13, 2011

Concert Etiquette by Mary

After attending a concert at The Mint in Los Angeles I feel the need to write out a list of concert etiquette because apparently most people aren't aware of how to behave at a show. Los Angeles... for shame...


#1 Being Tall at a Standing Show - If you are more then 5'10" with or without heels its definitely not OK to push your way through the crowd acting like you are just trying to get to bathroom only to stop front row center to watch the show. You have now blocked everyone who have been standing there for the last hour and your giant heads will be in everyone's picture.

#2 Flash Photography - Is it necessary to blind the artist with your red eye flash while they are tuning their guitar in the dark?? Eventually the lights will go on and you can take photos till your hearts content without a flash.

#3 Talking - When the artist starts playing it doesn't mean continue talking but louder so you can be heard over the music. Why did you pay for a concert ticket only to talk through the whole thing?? Take it outside chatty Cathy and have some respect for the artist.

#4 Participation - I don't know what it is about people in Los Angeles who think they are too cool to act like they are enjoying a concert. Everyone stands there with arms crossed with this attitude like, "What you got for me? Play some music and see if you can impress me." Try clapping, dancing, swaying or even just a head bob. I promise that you'll have more fun and the artist will appreciate people participating and enjoying the music.

#5 Videotaping - If you want to videotape your favorite song during the show so you can watch it back later to relive the moment I get that. Carry on. However, if you are going to video every song with your arm up in the air while you are standing in the front row you suck. Your arm is in all my pictures...

On a recent trip to Ireland I learned the proper way to participate at concert. Let's watch and learn a lesson from the Irish shall we? Look how much fun they are having. Maybe its the fact that they all have a pint in hand...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This post was right on the money. I went to a concert in NC several years back, and all the things you mentioned were going on. Luckily, I saw Jill Scott in concert a couple years ago, and it was an excellent experience. Sadly, everyone doesn't get it.

Krystal Celeste said...

Thank you for this! Couldn't agree more! My sister and I go to a lot of concerts and these are always some of our complaints. The tall thing is a big one for me seeing as how I am pretty short. It seems like I always end up behind a really tall person. And the talking thing drives me up the wall. Thanks for sharing this! :)

Mary (Mary's Musicology) said...

Have to add this facebook comment I received from my friend Robin: "Absolutely. ESPECIALLY #1. Also, please add: No pushing up to the front once the music has started -- we have already established our positions, thank-you. And: Thou shalt not push the entire crowd forward (from the back) and squash thy neighbors in the front rows."