Monday, January 25, 2010

Vampire Weekend


You all would be so proud of me. For the second week in a row the featured artist/band is not from Nashville! I’m getting back to more variety and stretching not only myself but also all of you who check in each week for new artists. Over the past few years I’ve been expanding my music taste. Listening to music I wouldn’t normally enjoy and as a result I’ve fallen in love with some new bands such as The Raconteurs and Muse. My friend Taylor who is a musician pursuing a career as an artist told be once that he listens to some music as exercise to work out his musical muscles. Another friend, Valery, has been trying everything from Celtic to Gregorian chanting to expand her musical taste. So here at Mary’s Monday Musicology we are going to be doing that as well (maybe not with chant music). This week we are taking a baby step in that direction with Vampire Weekend.


Ezra Koenig, Rostam Batmanglij, Chris Baio and Christopher Tomson, who all met while at Columbia University in New York, formed vampire weekend in 2006 after graduating. They then self produced their first album while all working full time jobs. I too graduated in 2006 but sadly was not that productive and was in the “What the heck am I doing with my life?/I just want to do music!” stage of life. The name Vampire Weekend comes from a film Koenig made during college. Their first self-titled album was released in 2008 and their new album Contra was just released two weeks ago and I’ve been listening to it non-stop.


It was actually the blog world that spread the word about Vampire Weekend as they were getting their start and working towards getting a record deal. They have had several of their tracks featured on the silver screen with the films Step-Brothers and Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Vampire Weekend is great music for friendly gatherings with its mellow but upbeat sound. Can’t you just picture yourself with some Sangria in one hand while you BBQ some carne asada and are doing a little dance? I know I can but that’s just me. The new album has quite a few African beats that just get me dancing in my car.




Hope you enjoyed this week’s featured band. Be sure to comment and let me know what you think.

Giveaway Alert!!!

Check back tonight for a very special giveaway as MMM joins with Lillian Ray Jewelry as she launches her new Luxe line and celebrates her one year anniversary! It will be worth your while I promise!

Photo #2 by Esther White
Photos #1 & 3 - Unknown

1 comment:

Jennifer Lynn said...

Oh! A giveaway with Lillian Ray! That is soooo exciting!!!!!! I am definitely checking back!!!! =)
As for Vampire Weekend and expanding my musical tastes, it's gonna take some time to get used to, but I agree--I need to expand. Thanks for always doing such a fabulous job of finding new artists!