Monday, August 3, 2009

Róisín Murphy

If you are a fan of the show So You Think You Can Dance like me then you will probably recognize several of these tracks from our artist of the week Róisín Murphy. Some of my favorite routines on the show have been choreographed by Wade Robson using the unique and slightly bizarre music by Murphy.

Róisín Murphy is an Irish singer/songwriter born in 1973 who later moved to England with her parents at the age of 12 and decided to stay there even when her parents divorced and moved back to Ireland. Murphy was introduced to the music world when she met her boyfriend who later became her singing partner. Their duo was called Moloko and had great success in the UK until the couple broke up and things got awkward. Murphy took that opportunity to release solo work and released her album Ruby Blue in 2005. In 2006 she signed with EMI and the next year released her second solo album, Overpowered.

Murphy has had some great exposure here in the U.S. with her songs not only on So You Think You Can Dance but also on several episodes of Grey’s Anatomy and have received special mention from the show’s music supervisor Alex Patsavas. “Ruby Blue” was included on the Grey’s Anatomy Vol. 1 soundtrack which is where I was first exposed to Murphy’s music. Listening to her music brings of a quirky side in me and always gets me to turn up the volume and do a little dance in my chair (I’m usually restricted to a chair since music is usually listened to in my car or at my desk).

Hope you enjoyed this week’s featured artist. Please feel free to leave your comments on what you think of the music.

http://www.myspace.com/roisinmurphy

2 comments:

a.love said...

she is definitely too out there for me ;) although i do enjoy your exposing me to new stuff :)

Mary (Mary's Musicology) said...

I was feeling the need to be a little different this week :)